Thursday, July 06, 2006

I love them. I love them not.

Well today's Emmy nominations are certainly different from last year. I'm not sure many people will be claiming victory for the new voting system, though. Some surprises: Lost and Desperate Housewives were shut out of the major categories. That's right, last year's winner for best drama series is not in the running this year, and none of the women of Wisteria Lane are up for best actress in a comedy (Alfre Woodard did get a best supporting actress nod). Two Men and a Baby got a lot of love, but My Name is Earl didn't. Kevin James got a nomination for King of Queens, but no Jason Lee, or Jason Bateman, or Zach Braff.

It seems to me that more mainstream shows got more nominations, rather than shows from the smaller networks. Except while Lauren Graham of Gilmore Girls and Kristin Bell of Veronica Mars are not in the running, Denis Leary of Rescue Me (on FX) and Kyra Sedgewick of The Closer (on TNT) are.

I'm sure I'll write something for Blogcritics later, but for now, I have to get my House fangirliness out of the way. Because the biggest shock? Hugh Laurie did not get a nomination. This isn't a case of "I love the show, so of course he should have." He was nominated last year, he won the Golden Globe and Television Critics Association awards, he was on nearly every prognosticator's list. On the list for best dramatic actor instead: Peter Krause of Six Feet Under, who I like a lot, but wouldn't pit against Laurie, or Christopher Meloni of Law & Order: SVU, who I have no opinion about, but wasn't on anyone's radar that I saw, plus Martin Sheen of The West Wing (who I didn't know was still a lead on that show, but I haven't watched this season), Keifer Sutherland of 24, and Leary.

But the Emmy voters have ensured that I don't feel I have the right to complain too much (so will instead seethe inwardly for the next year): House did get a nomination for best drama series. Given the surfeit of good dramas on the air right now, I thought House's procedural elements would work against it in the series category. I'm very happy to be wrong.

But after last year's win in the best writing category, they snubbed the writer of the episode the show submitted overall, the one that, theoretically, Emmy voters judged when deciding it was one of the best series. "Autopsy" won Lawrence Kaplow the Writers Guild Award this year (though to be fair, because of the different voting seasons, it was competing against a different crowd), and had great buzz as a potential nominee on Gold Derby's forums. So I'm disappointed it wasn't singled out in the Emmy writing category.

If it seems I'm running the Larry Kaplow Fanclub, it's coincidence. My interview request last year was for any one of the House writers. Turns out, the guy who drew the short straw had written some of my favourite episodes - "Detox," "Autopsy," "Control" - and ended up later winning the WGA Award and then getting Emmy buzz. So it's not my fault I keep writing about the man. It's his. Blame the talent. And now the Emmys.

Anyway, this might come as a shock, but I'm actually a pretty big fan of everyone involved with House. I just can't seem to find a way to write about the key grip or foley editor. Today, I have an excuse to mention some of the lesser known names involved with the show, though. Other House nominees are:

Outstanding Single-Camera Sound Mixing For A Series
"Euphoria, Part 1"
  • Gerry Lentz, Re-Recording Mixer
  • Richard Weingart, Re-Recording Mixer
  • Russell C. Fager, CAS, Production Mixer
Outstanding Art Direction For A Single-Camera Series
"Autopsy," "Distractions," "Skin Deep"
  • Derek R. Hill, Production Designer
  • Danielle Berman, Set Decorator
Outstanding Casting For A Drama Series
  • Amy Lippens, C.S.A., Casting by
  • Stephanie Laffin, Casting by
I'll try to be happy for the show as a whole instead of focusing on the Hugh Laurie snub. But ...



Complete Emmy nominations are here.