Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Dr. House meets Kenny

So House won a Peabody Award today, and I feel obligated to report it, even though I don't have much to say other than: good for them. (That sounds sarcastic, doesn't it? I'm not being sarcastic. It's a great thing and they should be proud. Really. OK, I'm going to stop protesting too much, because I was honestly being sincere.)

It's a vaguely prestigious award given out under the vaguest of descriptions: "The Peabody recognizes distinguished achievement and meritorious public service by stations, networks, producing organizations and individuals." All they had to say about House was:
An unorthodox lead character – a misanthropic diagnostician fond of saying humanity is "overrated" – and cases fit for a medical Sherlock Holmes have helped make "House" the most distinctive new doctor drama in a decade. Heel and Toe Films, Shore Z Productions, Bad Hat Harry Productions, NBC Universal Television Studio.
I guess that's distinguished achievement, then, and not meritorious public service. It's the first (I think) award for the show as a whole, after writing awards for David Shore (Emmy) and Lawrence Kaplow (WGA) and acting awards for Hugh Laurie (Golden Globe, TV Critics).

But ... what makes me love the Peabody people even more today is that they also honoured South Park:
Primitive animation is part of the charm of TV's boldest, most politically incorrect satirical series. Its simple style also makes possible the show's unmatched topicality. Comedy Central.
When I think Peabody, I think stellar news coverage, I think The West Wing. Now, I'll think Kenny and Cartman, too.

There were other TV series winners: Battlestar Galactica, The Shield, and Boston Legal. More are in the Peabody press release and full list of winners.